(Please note: All of these recipes are 100% gluten-free, 100% guilt-free, and 100% delicious)

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pumpkin Pancakes


The added pumpkin and spices make these grain-free pancakes over-the-top delicious.   I love making these all-year round, but especially during pumpkin season.  My 2 year old repeatedly says, "mmmm, yummy pancakes," while devouring them.





INGREDIENTS:

- 4 eggs (preferably from pastured hens)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (fresh, boxed, or BPA-free canned pumpkin)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or extra virgin coconut oil, melted (I prefer butter in these)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons organic pure maple syrup or raw honey (I prefer using maple syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of unrefined sea salt
- optional 1-2 tablespoons of coconut flour (this will thicken it up if needed; you'll most likely need it if you use fresh pumpkin puree)


DIRECTIONS:

1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil, and set aside.

2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, vanilla extract, and maple syrup together.  

3. Sift the spices and baking soda into the wet ingredients, then stir in the melted butter/oil.  

4. Grease the skillet with butter, and spoon 1/4 cup batter onto skillet.  Cook for a few minutes until lightly browned, flip and repeat. 

5. Serve with grass-fed butter, cinnamon, maple syrup, bananas, and/or any other desired healthy topping.

Makes 7 to 9 (1/4 cup sized) pancakes (approximately 2 servings)


(Option: Instead of adding maple syrup to sweeten this recipe, you could also try adding a mashed, whole ripe banana to the mixture.  If you do add a banana, the yield will increase).
















(Adapted recipe from here)


4 comments:

  1. becky, these recipes look delish! can't wait to try them out- i just heard of our blog via stacey on fb. so glad to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! Hope they don't disappoint. Let me know if you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, we make these all the time now and love them. I also use your recipes nearly every day for every meal! This blog has really been a life-saver as I've been searching for more yummy, healthy recipes for me and my family. I'm expecting my second baby and have been trying to really watch my sugar intake and carb, and these recipes are perfect for that! I'm recommending the blog to all my friends who are wanting more healthy eating ideas! Thank you, thank you !!!-Layna Haymond Claunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Layna! Thank you so much for your sweet words! I'm so glad you're enjoying my blog, and finding recipes that fit your needs. Thank you for sharing with your friends, and congrats on your pregnancy! :)

      Delete