It's hard to believe that this delicious and decadent dessert is full of nutrient dense ingredients, making it an excellent choice for adults AND for babies over one.
Egg yolks are loaded with vitamins A, D, E and K, as well omega-3 fats, folate and vitamin B12. Combine that with more healthy fats, vitamins and minerals from the real cream, this is a dessert that not only tickles your taste buds, but boosts your brain health and immunity as well!
My kids lick their bowls clean every time. And so do I.
- 6 egg yolks, preferably from pastured hens
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (but try using less if making for babies)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of unrefined sea salt
- extra virgin coconut oil for greasing
1. Preheat oven to 310 degrees and lightly grease (4 to 6) ramekins with extra virgin coconut oil.
2. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and place the yolks in a medium-sized bowl. (Discard or save whites for a later use). Beat the yolks with a fork or whisk until smooth.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix well.
4. Carefully pour mixture into prepared ramekins. Grab a 9x13 casserole dish, fill up with water halfway, and carefully place ramekins in it, then put in oven.
5. Bake for 1 hour, or until custard is no longer liquid in the middle, and is slightly browned.
6. You can enjoy them right away, but I prefer the firmed up texture after refrigerating for at least 4 hours. Serve as is, or sprinkle nutmeg on tops or fresh berries, and enjoy!
Approximately 4-6 servings
(Adapted recipe from here)