I love eating soups year round, because it's a great way to consume lots of vegetables and reheat quick leftovers. What I don't like, is standing over a hot stove for long periods of time in the hot summer months, which is why this quick and easy tomato soup is the perfect year-round soup to make.
Tomatos are full of endless vitamins, such as vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6, as well as magnesium, fiber, folate and more.
It is, however, very important to avoid canned tomatoes as much as possible, because impurities and poisons, including aluminum, can be absorbed easily into the body. If you must buy canned tomatoes, you'll at least want your cans labelled as BPA-free. (Bisphenol A, (BPA), is an ingredient in the vinyl lining that can leach into the body and can adversely affect the brain, behavior, and the way estrogen is metabolized. It's especially something women and children should avoid!)
This recipe uses boxed tomatoes, making it a simple and delicious way to enjoy this classic soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 26 oz. box strained or finely chopped tomatoes (I use this kind)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (no sugar or gluten added)
- 1 cup coconut milk (I use this kind)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- optional: 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
1. In a large saucepan, add oil and turn to medium heat.
2. Add onions, and sauté until translucent; about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
3. Add remaining ingredients, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Serve as is, or carefully pour into a blender, and blend until very smooth and creamy.
5. Ladle into bowls and enjoy as is, or paired with some gluten free crackers or grilled-cheese.
Approximately 3-4 servings
(Note: This soup tastes even better the next day)
(Adapted recipe from here)