I have been LOVING casseroles lately. No special steps, but just basically throwing all the ingredients together, and then having a delicious feast an hour later.
This dish features two of my favorites: sweet potatoes and cabbage, in addition to my husband and kids' favorite: sausages..
Now, it's best to purchase nitrate and gluten-free sausages with the fewest ingredients possible. Luckily they're becoming easier to find these days in a variety of stores.
Pictured below I used Aidell's Chicken and Apple Sausages. It was delish!
(I also think this would make for a great Hobo Dinner for any up and coming camping trips!)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- half head of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth, (I like this kind)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Herbs
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 or 5 gluten-free sausages, sliced
- optional: good quality ketchup to serve with
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic and cabbage in a 9x13 casserole dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine the broth, olive oil, Italian Herbs, salt and pepper, and stir.
4. Pour over vegetable mixture, and toss to coat.
5. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes, stirring gently, half-way through.
5. Carefully remove from oven, and add sliced sausages on top. Place back in oven, and bake for additional 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and gently stir, then serve as is or with a bit of ketchup.
(Adapted recipe from here)