(Please note: All of these recipes are 100% gluten-free, 100% guilt-free, and 100% delicious)

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup


This recipe is a favorite and a regular in our household.  It's delicious, quick, and easy, plus I usually have the ingredients on hand.  Pair this warming soup with a gluten-free muffin, and you're set for a simple, nutritious, and filling meal.




INGREDIENTS:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and seeded
-2 tablespoons unsalted good quality butter (I use this butter)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- gluten-free chicken broth; enough to barely cover your squash (I like the Pacific brand, but homemade is even better)
-nutmeg, to taste (approximately 1/2 teaspoon)
-sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste


DIRECTIONS:
Cut squash into 1-inch chunks.  In large pot, melt butter.  Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes.  Add squash and broth.  Bring to a boil, then simmer covered, until squash is tender.  Carefully pour into blender, and blend until desired consistency.  Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  Serve.

Approximately 4 servings.



(Recipe adapted from here)

4 comments:

  1. My girls loved this one, Becky! When Myla asked for a second bowlful, Ainsley said, "more too! more too!" as she pushed her bowl towards me :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so Awesome Jeane!! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful success story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had this for dinner last night. It was great! Although I think my squash was a bit bigger than medium so I should have used more onion. I adjusted the seasonings a bit but wasn't sure what it was supposed to taste like since the only butternut squash soup I have had is from the Blue Lemon in UT and it is probably made with cream and is kind of sweet. But we loved it and had it for lunch today too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I think using Irish butter is what makes it taste extra good. And also, some squashes are much sweeter than others, making the taste of this soup fluctuate quite a bit. Glad you liked it though.

    ReplyDelete