I consider this a lazy week-night dinner, although this would be delicious for any meal of the day.
I highly recommend buying organic potatoes whenever possible, because they're very high on the pesticide list. Also, buying organic free-range eggs are going to be much more nutritious and delicious for you. The more orange and runny the yolks the better!.
So here's a simple and more nutritious take on some classic and crowd pleasing ingredients.
- extra virgin coconut oil, for greasing
- 4 cups potato chunks (I like Yukon or Red Potatoes)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoons unrefined sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 6 to 8 eggs, preferably from pastured hens
- optional: 1 cup shredded raw cheese (I like this kind)
- optional: 1 teaspoon fresh or dried parsley
- optional: good quality ketchup, salsa, and/or sour cream to top with
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and lightly grease 9x13 casserole dish with coconut oil.
2. Place all ingredients (except for the eggs and cheese) in casserole dish, and toss.
3. Place dish in oven and bake for 10 minutes, toss with a spatula, then cook for another 20 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, and carefully crack eggs on top, followed by a sprinkling of cheese. Place back in the oven, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
5. Remove from oven, and sprinkle parsley on top, and another light sprinkling of salt and pepper, and serve as is, or with good quality ketchup, salsa and/or sour cream on top!
(Adapted recipe from here)