(Please note: All of these recipes are 100% gluten-free, 100% guilt-free, and 100% delicious)

Friday, December 6, 2013

Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Chicken Chili


I've made this deliciously simple chili for many guests, and it's been a hit every time.  With tender chunks of chicken, warming spices, and yummy bites of sweet potato, I think it'll always be a winner.

And you might want to consider doubling the recipe to make it last for a couple of days, because the flavors just get more and more delicious as the days go on.




INGREDIENTS:

- 1 pound organic boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed into bite-sized pieces (I cook my chicken like this)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut, or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced (I like to use a combination of colors)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato (about 1 large potato)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with the juices (BPA-free is best)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed (BPA-free is best)
- 1 cup organic frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- dash of red pepper flakes, optional (I omit for my toddler's sake)
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 cups chicken broth (this kind, or homemade); add more or less depending on how thick you like your chili.


DIRECTIONS:

1. Cook chicken like this, and set aside.

2. Add oil to large soup pot set over medium heat, and cook the onion and pepper until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, and season with a little salt and pepper.

3.  Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, black beans, and broth.  Season with chili powder, cumin, optional red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

4. Add the cooked, cubed chicken to the pot and frozen corn.  Bring to a simmer and cook for about 35 minutes, stirring every so often until sweet potatoes are tender.

5. Add more salt if needed, and serve with good quality sour cream, organic corn chips, and shredded raw cheese.


Enjoy!


Approximately 4-6 servings












(Adapted recipe from here)

8 comments:

  1. I love this. I could eat it every day. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's that good! At least the way Becky makes it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. So glad you love it!! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for our RS craft night last night and it was SO good. I was too lazy to cook anything so I just threw everything in my crockpot and cooked on high for 5 hours. It was even better today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. best vietnamese food singapore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. singapore hari raya goodies

    ReplyDelete